This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join leading experts in the field of child development and neuroscience as they find answers to important questions about the influence of childhood experiences on the brain and behavior. Study findings may help to improve the health and well-being of children — and make scientific history for the benefit of future generations.
As a parent/guardian, there are many questions we may ask ourselves:
- How does screen time affect social and brain development?
- Can sports injuries cause brain damage?
- How do sleep patterns affect academic achievement?
- What are the long-term effects of ADHD medications on academics and health?
- Does drinking coffee or energy drinks have negative effects on children?
- How does tobacco or alcohol use affect learning and health?
- Are there extracurricular activities or other experiences that help children do better in school and be happier in life?
By following more than 10,000 children as they go through adolescence, the ABCD Study® is well-positioned to answer these and other questions about the developing brain and the many childhood experiences that shape social, emotional, intellectual, and physical growth.
Families who participate in this study will have a unique opportunity to experience a groundbreaking scientific project. Participants will find out how science and technology can help us learn about the brain, its function, and its role in overall health and well-being. This exciting opportunity will contribute to knowledge that will be used to improve the lives of children all over the world and may stimulate your child’s interest in becoming a scientist!